Monday, December 03, 2007

Just when I thought I was finished wiping up faces for the day.

The kids are in bed for the night. David and I are in the brown room. I'm checking my e-mail and he's painting. He looks at me and says, "Oh man, I got paint in my nose."

I look at him. "Yeah, it's on your cheek too. Just hold still, I'll get a damp paper towel."

I get one and clean up his face. He starts to make faces, just like Perry and Daisy do, and I realize he could have gone to the bathroom and cleaned himself up. Why did I volunteer to help him? Probably for the same reason I used to open my mouth as I spooned food into Perry and Daisy's mouths (before they could feed themselves). And for the same reason I make kissing sounds in the air before I kiss David (as though I'm kissing the kids). I just get so caught up in Baby Land.

But there's nothing I can do about this, and it's not really that big a deal anyway. I'm a mom. Baby Land is where I belong and this is just one more realization of it.

I finished wiping the black paint from my husband's face and kissed his clean cheeks, just like I do when I wash the kids' faces after lunch.

1 comment:

The Aardvark said...

So

very

sweet!